(Touch a letter or scroll down for more topics)
- Select a file or folder (touch a file/folder icon).
- Tap the Encrypt button (bottom-right corner).
- Set a password.
- A new ".enc file" will be created.
(Note: You can delete/wipe the original file(s) after the encryption or it can be done automatically: Settings: File Encryptor → Wipe Source After Encryption)
- Select an encrypted file (touch a file).
- Tap the Decrypt button (bottom-right corner).
- Enter the correct password.
- The selected file will be decrypted.
A - Available Drives
- Shortcuts to the available volumes on the current device + user-defined Home/Default directories.
- Custom Directories -
Encrypted/Decrypted files output directories can be set here (if enabled in Settings: File Encryptor → Encrypted/Decrypted Files Destination)
- SAF button (Android 5+)
B - Current Volume Parameters
- available space / volume size
C - Selected File/Folder
- Long-click to select folder
- Short-click to select file
- or touch a file/folder icon
- Selected file or folder can be:
- Encrypted or Decrypted (according to the state of the selected file) by the Encrypt/Decrypt button (E);
- Renamed, Opened, Deleted, or Wiped by using the "Menu button" (bottom, second from right);
- Note: Long-clicking on a file leads to the same behavior as using the Menu button on the selected file/folder.
- Multiple File Selection
D - Encrypted File
- Encrypted files can be recognized by .enc extensions, purple backgrounds, and “lock” icons.
E - Encrypt/Decrypt Button
- Encrypt or decrypt (according to the selected item) files or folders.
F - Compression ON/OFF
- Activate/deactivate data compression.
G - Direct to the Main Menu
- Go directly to the application's Main Menu
H - More Button
- Selected file/folder can be Renamed, Deleted, Wiped or Opened (file).
I - Set Session Password
- Set session ("master") password.
- A password is not set to enter the application, but set for the current encryption/decryption session. You may have an unlimited number of passwords for any purpose.
Multiple File Selection
- Multiple file selection (batch processing) - (PRO version feature)
- This can be activated/deactivated in the application's settings; Settings → File Encryptor: Multiple File Selection
SAF Mode (Android 5+)
Or it can be used for output operations only (if custom destination folders are activated in app's settings - Settings: File Encryptor → Encrypted/Decrypted Files Destination
If you set the destination(s) to "Ask"
, the following dialog will be displayed for all encryption/decryption tasks:
In Android 4.4 (KitKat), Google suddenly cut off all third-party (non-preinstalled) applications from the permission to write to external/removable storage. Thanks to this decision, a lot of applications have been crippled and some have become entirely useless. Pressure on Google has led to a compromise solution that has been integrated into Android 5. Applications can regain the write permission to external storage using a new API together with SAF (Storage Access Framework).
There are some limitations in the SAF mode you should know.
- Directory picker will appear. You need to select the directory (or volume) with which you want to work.
- Tap the More button (top-right corner) and choose Show SD card.
- Tap the Menu button (top-left corner) and choose the storage you want to use.
- Tap SELECT (bottom).
- Home/Custom directories cannot be set in SAF; however, the last-picked SAF URI is automatically saved: Home Button → Go to Last Picked SAF Dir.
- The wipe feature does not work. If option “Wipe after Encryption” is checked in the app settings, file(s) will be deleted only. If you use "Select Destination (SAF)" together with read-only source files, the file(s) will not be deleted at all.
- SAF mode provides lower performance (in fact - much, much lower) than the standard direct file access mode (especially with dirs that contain a lot of files/subdirs).
- The “Open File” function will work only if the destination application is able to decode the SAF URI.